Sporotrichosis is an infection caused by the fungus Sporothrix schenckii. The fungus is present around the world in soil, plants, and decaying vegetation and can enter the skin through small cuts or punctures from thorns, barbs, pine needles, or inhalation which can cause pulmonary infection. Skin infection is the most common form of infection and usually occurs after handling contaminated plant material. Sporotrichosis cannot be spread from person to person. Symptoms include a small painless bump resembling an insect bite, which can appear any time from 1 to 12 weeks after exposure to the fungus. The nodule can be red, pink, or purple in color, usually appearing on the finger, hand, or arm where the fungus entered the skin. Later on, the bump will become larger in size and look like an open sore or ulcer that is very slow to heal. Additional bumps may appear near the original nodule. While most infections involve only the skin, the infection can spread to other parts of the body, including the bones, joints, and the central nervous system.